Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Your "Ideal" Presidential Candidate?

So I was listening to Glenn Beck on the radio today, and he mentioned an interesting website where you answer a series of questions about major political issues, and it spits out a list of the presidential candidates and how well they align with your political views. Supposidly, the candidate's stance on topics (and subsequently the results of the questionaire) are based on a plethora of voting history, public remarks, press releases, candidate questionaires, etc. in an effort to best represent their views. I thought it would be interesting to see who I most aligned with according to this site, so I went ahead and took the questionaire. My results are below.

1. Alan Keyes (89%)
2. Tom Tancredo (85%)
3. Mitt Romney (81%)
4. Duncan Hunter (78%)
5. Sam Brownback (73%)
6. Chuck Hagel (not running) (71%)
7. Jim Gilmore (withdrawn) (70%)
8. John McCain (66%)
9. Newt Gingrich (says he will not run) (66%)
10. Fred Thompson (60%)
11. Mike Huckabee (58%)
12. Kent McManigal (campaign suspended) (57%)
13. Tommy Thompson (withdrawn) (54%)
14. Ron Paul (52%)
15. Rudolph Giuliani (52%)
16. Bill Richardson (32%)
17. Joseph Biden (29%)
18. Hillary Clinton (29%)
19. Michael Bloomberg (says he will not run) (28%)
20. John Edwards (27%)
21. Al Gore (not announced) (26%)
22. Mike Gravel (24%)
23. Christopher Dodd (24%)
24. Wesley Clark (not running, endorsed Clinton) (19%)
25. Dennis Kucinich (18%)
26. Barack Obama (17%)
27. Alan Augustson (campaign suspended) (10%)
28. Elaine Brown (3%)


Obviously, I'm a conservative republican (hey, I'm an engineer, we're conservative by trade). That wasn't anything I didn't know about myself already. But I was a little surprised by the rankings. Probably because I don't really know a lot about most of the "second tier" candidates. The chances of most of these candidates getting their party's nomination are slim-to-none, but it makes me want to learn more about their views regardless. Would I ever really vote for Alan Keyes? Hmmmm...

Anyway, give it a try for yourself. I think it could have some benefit for you whether you've already got a candidate in mind or have absolutely no clue. Perhaps it will encourage you to look beyond the top tier candidates (D or R), see who else is out there, and educate yourself about their viewpoints.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Nothing wrong with being conservative. I tend to fly that way, myself. (Depending on the issue, of course)

Mel said...

So I had to do it, too.

1. Duncan Hunter
2. Alan Keyes
3. Chuck Hagel
4. Tom Tancredo
5. Joseph Biden
6. Newt Gingrich
7. Jim Gilmore
8. John McCain
9. Mike Huckabee
10. Al Gore
11. Sam Brownback
12. Hillary Clinton
13. Rudolph Giuliani
14. Bill Richardson
15. John Edwards
16. Mitt Romney
17. Ron Paul
18. Wesley Clark
19. Fred Thompson
20. Tommy Thompson
21. Michael Bloomberg
22. Barack Obama
23. Christopher Dodd
24. Mike Gravel
25. Dennis Kucinich
26. Alan Augustson
27. Kent McManigal
28. Elaine Brown

I have never heard of Duncan Hunter. There are quite a few of those candidates that I've never heard of. What disturbs me the most is that Billary was higher in the list than Rudy, and I was thinking Rudy was going to be one of my front runners...???

Chad said...

I know how you feel -- I had several surprises in my list too. Oh well, makes you think.