Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My 128-bit Precious

The Advanced Access Content System Licensing Administrator (AACS LA) group, founded by such companies as Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Walt Disney, and Warner Bros., has been in a legal uproar in the past several months over the publishing of a "processing key" used to decrypt HD-DVD and Blu-ray movie discs. They have issued takedown notices to numerous websites that have published the 128-bit hex number, claiming that hosting the number is a violation of the DMCA's ban on trafficking of circumvention devices. How can a number be considered a circumvention device on its own? The AACS LA is relying on language in the DMCA that defines a circumvention device as:

"primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title",
and
"has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title"
or
"is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title"

Basically, they claim that there is no significant commercial purpose for that particular 128-bit number other than for use in the decryption of HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs, thereby classifying it as an illegal circumvention device under the DMCA, and hosting or publishing the number would be considered trafficking.

Following the lead of AACS LA, I hereby lay claim to the following 128-bit, 16-hex-pair, number for purposes of encrypting/decrypting all my intellectual property:

FF 25 77 64 00 81 4A 4C E3 59 4F BF 06 98 C7 32

This is my number. There are many like it but this one is mine. My number is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my number is useless. Without my number, I am useless. I must encrypt with my number true. I must encrypt better than my enemy, who is trying to circumvent me. I must encrypt before he circumvents me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my number and myself are defenders of my intellectual property, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen

My Precious. Get your own you dirty, circumventing leaches!

No comments: