Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

An alternate title for this post could be "Can an old dog overcome certain bad habits and learn how to do things the right way?"

The unfortunate truth of the matter is this post could refer to any one of my many bad habits, but the one in particular I'm referring to is not as far reaching or have as numerous (if any) life altering implications as my other wayward practices. It's still something I've been thinking about trying to rectify. So what exactly am I eluding to? I'd really love to take guitar lessons. Yes, guitar lessons. You were probably expecting something more profound, but that's it. Really.

Being a self-taught player going on 12 years now, I think I would really enjoy getting some "formal" training. Overall, I think my technique is mediocre at best, and could definitely stand to be tweaked for the better. Solo improvisation and general music theory are definitely where I need the most help, as I have basically zero skills in those areas. I feel fairly comfortable with my ability in the rhythm guitar role -- although I'm sure I've taught myself some bad habits, and surely have much to learn even in that regard.

Specifically, my interests currently lie within the acoustic realm of guitar playing, and have been pointed in that direction for many years now. I started off playing rock/metal tunes on electric guitar, but got bored quickly (c. 1998) and decided to purchase an accoustic-electric. I've been hooked ever since. For me, it just seemed like a natural progression as my (uh-hum) skills improved. In particular, the technique and complexity of classical guitar intrigues and amazes me, and is the "stretch goal" (read, pipe-dream) of my long, drawn-out guitar education.

Why do I even care to improve my playing abilities? Well, there are several factors involved here, but it's primarily just due to my enjoyment of playing guitar and music in general, in combination with a bit of perfectionism (or perhaps more aptly put, non-mediocre-ism). Add in the fact that every Sunday I play in the praise band at my church, and it only increases my longing to improve. In fact, our practice this evening is what spurred on this post.

Plus guitar players get all the chicks. Wait a minute, I'm already married. Damn, I missed the boat on that one! :-p

No comments: